Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tofish with tamarind sauce and confetti Bulgar


Yes Bulgar is available in Barbados from the health food store and guess what? It is very cheap even cheaper than rice. I got decent sized package for a little under 3 Barbados dollars. Anyways,Bulgar is eaten in the Middle East but I have never seen Bulgar around here being sold as a staple. The good news about this is that it is high in fibre and has a higher nutritional value than rice. It can be used just like rice or cous cous but the great thing about it you do not have to cook it like rice. You just need to soak it in hot water .
For my Sunday lunch today I wanted something like a steak of protein so I decided to make my tofu look like a piece of white steak fish. I was going to do a vegan tar tar sauce but my dad got a hold of some acid tamarinds so I decided to make a spicy tamarind sauce to pair with my to -fish.
To balance off everything I was going to do a brown rice dish but I want to introduce everyone who has not been introduced to Bulgar. I love raw salads with my meals so I just pair spinach with Romaine lettuce and poured some flax oil on it which is a cold pressed oil which is rich in omega -3- fatty acids. What more can you want with a cool dish like this.
Tamarind sauce
In Barbados we are not as lucky as the Asians to have those sweet tamarind trees abundant but there is more you can do with your tamarind than roll it into tamarind balls.
1 cup of tamarinds boiled out twice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp of sweetener of your choice ( do not worry you use this like a pepper sauce
1 tsp molasses
Method
Boil everything up seeds and all for about 10 mins adding a little water to prevent burning
Stir,strain and store in the fridge.
Simple
To-fish
I am starting to eat a little tofu again I must admit even being a vegan I did not like tofu at first but I have tried with it and I must say I am quite pleased now
1 tbs lime juice
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp mustard (I like to use this mustard I get from France, I do not see it anymore in Barbados but regular American mustard would do)
2 pieces of tofu sliced
Bread crumb and flax meal for breading ( There is this Asian supermarket that opened up that will sell Panko breadcrumbs that would have been ideal for this dish)
2 tbs olive oil
Method
Carefully place tofu into the batter
Bread the tofu all over with the breadcrumb mixture
Heat up oil in your pan. You can use an unblemished non stick pan if you like .
Brown to -fish and set aside
So now we have our tofish and sauce finished
Now our Confetti Bulgar
1/2 cup Bulgar
3 cups of boiling water for your Bulgar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
1.5 tbs liquid amino acids ( use like soy sauce but be careful it is salty)
1/4 cup carrots
1/2 cup shredded spinach
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 pan that you use to cook the to-fish
1 cup of chives chopped
Method
Soak Bulgar for 25 mins until soft
Saute all veges
Add Bulgar (if some water is inside it don't worry you can leave it in or squeeze it out)
Add spices and amino acids
Serve hot
Note I didnt use any salt in this dish
Enjoy with a raw salad of your choice

No comments: