Friday, July 18, 2008

Mashed Green Banana


SORRY ABOUT THE AMATEUR PICS
I do not like mashed potatoes because it is not robust and rich enough for me.
I am not one to use a lot of fat in potatoes to make it rich
So I use green banana and it is the best thing I ever tasted.
I asked my mom to do a tutorial for peeling or she says skinning green bananas as there is a special technique for this.

Now for people outside of the Caribbean you may have to see if there is an exotic fruit section because the bananas I see overseas are not for cooking
If you use a semi green eating banana it will not work and you will have this yucky sweet tasting crap!
A green banana is void of sugar when you taste it
It is not as plump as a regular eating banana

Mashed Green Banana
12 green bananas cooked ( DO NOT COOK IN THE SKIN DO NOT! JE REPETE DO NOT COOK IN SKIN)
1 can coconut milk except I like Valrico or the Thai brands I do not use Goya in my mash
1/2 cup onion
1 tsp salt

Method
Cook bananas with the salt
Strain
Add onions and start to mash
Gradually add coconut milk and mash until you have a creamy mashed potato consistency
Mash smooth
Cool for 15 minutes

Serve with TVP Stew and enjoy and get lost in this delicious mess of a recipe!

Tay

No comments: