Saturday, August 9, 2008

To Slaw or not to Slaw


Coleslaw a big favourite but also a fattening favourite.
I admit even in my meat eating days I always passed at the slaw as I always saw it as a fat laden sweet dish that I could have avoided.
Today was baking day so I wanted a quick dish but I have not been vegetables shopping in 2 weeks now so there was not much to choose from.
I decided to develop a slaw that can be used to top veggie burgers and sandwiches or it can be used as a side dish.
The coleslaw in Barbados is very very very simple.
I have seen some alternatives using apple and onion but the way I know is this

Traditional Bajan Slaw
1 cabbage head shredded
1 large carrot shredded
2 tbs or more of mayo
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
pinch of black pepper

Now as you can see this is a horribly fattening recipe so I tried to veganize it and also reduce the fat because I do not want to be a fat vegan!

My Vegan Coleslaw
1/2 head cabbage shredded
1 large carrot shredded
1 tsp vegan mayo yes 1 tsp you can be a bit genourous with it
1 tbs. agave nectar
1/8 tsp star anise ground
1 small onion minced
1/4 cup scallions
1/2 tsp black pepper
Chopped walnuts and chopped pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)

Method
Mix all ingredients together for at least 10 mins until your veggies start to wilt
Use this as a side or a topping for your sandwiches and burgers
It is a sweet and spicy taste but if you want just sweet your can omit the chilli flakes

Happy eating!
Tay

No comments: