Monday, May 4, 2009

Bajan Coconut turnovers: "Turnovers"



PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TURNOVER RECIPE WAS POSTED IN THE NEXT 5 POST SO I HOPE I DO NOT GET ANY REQUEST TO POST IT WHEN I DID.THE RECIPE IS HERE.

ANOTHER NOTE IS THAT THIS BLOG HAS BEEN MOVED OR SHOULD I SAY RELAUNCED SO CLICK HERE TO GO TO MY NEW BLOG
THANKS

I remember on Sunday evening in Barbados as a child you would be looking forward to icecream from the truck or "bread". When we say bread in Barbados it doesnt mean a measly slice of bread. It is the numerous pastries that we enjoy on the island. I think Barbados has some of the best pastries there are. There are a mixture of British and Caribbean flavours. One that is a favourite of mine because it is not too too sweet is the coconut turnover which is just called "turnovers" in Barbados. I am not sure they are vegan as the recipe calls for milk and I use soy. I know one or two small bakeries in Barbados do not put cows milk in theirs but I cannot be too certain. I just love turnovers . Ok ok a turnover is a sweet dough filled with sweetened coconut with almond essence. It is baked and brushed with sugar water and sprinkled with sugar at the end. I love it warm with a cup of tea and I like my coconut dry. Some people like their coconut mixture a bit wetty or juicy but I love mine dry and not too sweet.


I am sorry I did not cut the inside of the turnover so you can see the lovely swirl of coconut mixture inside. I use wholewheat flour as I am not a white flour lover. These are usually brown or white you can find both easily in Barbados. Here is a photo of some I made during Easter for the hubby. He really loved them. Mine did not have a long shelf life though as they got hard after 3 days.


If anyone is interested in this recipe just leave a comment and I would post it.


I am a bit fed up sometimes as I post long winded recipes and I do not even know if anyone has a use for it. So let me know if anyone is interested in making some turnovers.

9 comments:

Cynthia said...

Please send me the recipe for your turnovers.

Unknown said...

Hi fellow bajan veggie, I would love the recipe. I live in London and just the other day I wa craving a yurnover but couldnt find a recipe and yours look eally good

Sharkgirl said...

Hi, I'd like to have the recipe too. Can you send it to me please?

Unknown said...

The recipe is on the website now just go to www.barbadianvegan.blogspot.com
and scroll down.

Unknown said...

Hi there,
I would love to have this recipe. it would definitely bring back memories when I bake it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, could you please put up the recipe for the turnovers,it's really aniticipated now :o)

Unknown said...

Hi anonymous that recipe was posted months ago...You are not using this site properly go to http://barbadianvegan.blogspot.com/2009/05/turnover-recipe.html
when using blogs you need to click on the header because this website has moved and there were more things since the post of the turnovers. Good luck with ur turnovers just follow instructions and they would be great

Anonymous said...

If you live in NY Check out my show "Flavors of Barbados" Thursday July 30th
1:30 pm and 5:00pm

Channels Time Warner 34 / Cablevision 67 / RCN 82 / Verizon 42

Internet Channel 1 is Time Warner 34 / Cablevision 67 / RCN 82 / Verizon 42
Internet Channel 2 is Time Warner 35 / Cablevision 68 / RCN 83 / Verizon 43
Internet Channel 3 is Time Warner 56 / Cablevision 69 / RCN 84 / Verizon 44

TJ said...

You are so fucking rude! I would be surprised if you have any readers left. Oh, and your precious recipes that you love to hoard? Fuck off, you're never going to be a success with your stuck in the past bad fucking attitude.